Tuesday 23 January 2024

 Great Knot – Brann Sands, Teesmouth, Cleveland, 3rd November 1996

Great Knot, at an always very windy Brann Sands, Teesmouth, Cleveland, November 1996 

The Story of my twitch of the 'Great Dot'* (or not). 

At last! Having been in the Scillies when this turned up (provoking memories and responses reminiscent of 1989 when the red-breasted nuthatch turned up whilst birders were in the Scillies) I had to wait until Sunday the 27th October before I could attempt to take it in. Gilly and I travelled to Tees-side from Accrington, but apparently missed it by 20 minutes from the Seaton Snook jetty, where we suffered the windy, gritty and grotty viewing conditions, made even worse by the lack of a ‘scope and blurry binoculars. (Why I hadn't got my 'scope I cannot recollect, but I suspect this relates to when I had to get my old Optolyth TSB80 mended after jumping off a wall at the Pechora pipit twitch at St. Levan, in West Cornwall, and inadvertently putting my foot through the hanging shoulder strap as I jumped, so propelling the 'scope into the tarmac of the road as I landed..... . Why my binoculars were blurry is lost in the midst of time). But I re-acquainted myself with Peter Hornby from Burnley..... .

Once it became apparent that it was not going to reappear from the jetty we tried from the hide overlooking the south-west corner of Seals Sands, as well as from the seawall further east, before giving up, dejected.

The following Sunday the 3rd November I returned alone, setting off at 07:30 and arriving at the Zinc Works Road at just after 10:00 hours – superb progress. However, although there were more cars present than on the previous Sunday, giving some cause for optimism, on asking some returning birders what the situation was, I was told that it had been reported as having been seen early on, but had disappeared, and that again it was windy, gritty and grotty viewing.

Therefore, I opted to go straight to the seawall on the south side of Seal Sands where at least it was sheltered, and better viewing was afforded. I outstayed two birders who joined me (and encouraged me, as one of them had seen it, close, from this location early on during its stay) and then two others. However, just as they left the pager announced that the bird was still (?) at Brann Sands at 12:02. Still? No matter. I rapidly walked back to the car, catching the second pair of birders on the way, and then crossing the A718 just as a convoy of birders cars got there. For some bizarre reason I was asked for directions! I suggested, “Great knot, Brann Sands, Redcar”. Or something like that.

I chose to quickly follow the convoy (well, obviously I did, they had such comprehensive directions 😀) rather than wait for the two birders who had, ‘Where to Watch Birds in Northeast England’. The drive was somewhat frenetic, but working on intuition, I was relatively easily able to get to South Gare, despite not seeing any other birders, whether in a convoy or not. Then it was a quick jog through the dunes to the beach of Brann Sands where a gallery was looking out across the bay. I pulled up a plastic drum (as we were on the strand-line) perched myself next to a birder, and asked for directions. I was then able to quickly get onto it as it was at about 200m range across the sand-flats. This was far, far better than I could imagine. However, I quickly realised that it could be better still, as for some reason birders were looking at it into the wind and the sun, when it was obvious to me it would be far better, and closer, if I got around the bay. Here it would be sheltered if I could get in the lee of the low cliff, and the light would be more favourable.

I quickly walked around the bay, seeing Bernie Beck on the way. As I thought, the conditions were far more favourable and so I settled down for a good hour our more (with small changes of position, as the boulder beach was not that comfortable!) taking the bird in. It was in constant view, allowing some serious sketching to be done. The ‘scope I’d borrowed from Jim Steele proved very useful too as it could be zoomed up to x 45, so allowing even closer views, if slightly fuzzy at that magnification. It was actively feeding for the greater majority of this time, scurrying backwards and forwards over the same part of the sands in a manner typical of other Calidris waders. Occasionally, it was harassed by oystercatchers when it located food items, and once it bathed and preened very briefly. However, in the main it was rapidly running over the sands (rapidly but jerkily) searching for food. It moved mainly into the wind and then would return (sometimes getting side on to the wind, and being blown sideways).

It was far more distinctive than I dared anticipate (although only as it was still in partial summer plumage and also the only Calidris wader on view).  However, (and we all like a wader don't we?) I cannot pretend it was the most attractive wader I've ever seen, frankly (see what I did there?), it was a bit of a Frankenstein wader.

It appeared to be about the size of a gray-tailed tattler, and the shape of dunlin, if heavier in build. The most notable plumage details were the remnant summer plumage ones. The heavy gorget of black marking on the upper breast was very obvious, although it varied with stance, being particularly noticeable when the bird was either directly side or head on. The underparts were otherwise bright white, with strong spotting on the flanks. The upperparts were light browny-grey, with heavy black streaking on the mantle, scapulars and coverts. No rufous centres to the scapulars were visible. The wing tips of the bird were black whilst the bird was at rest. The head was rather plain – in particular the face, but there was a dark eye-stripe, especially behind the eye. The bill was black, heavy and medium length with a thick base, somewhat like semi-palmated sandpiper, the legs were greeny-grey.

After watching it intently for more than an hour, it was flushed, along with oystercatchers, by a female peregrine. It flew off, allowing the lack of wing-bars and white-grey rump to be taken in as well. It was also noted that it looked strangely slim and long-winged in flight, as it flew out of sight over the edge of a sandbank.

All very much enjoyed and well worth the wait. I left more than satisfied, my only slight regret being that it then showed even better (down to 100m and then 10m apparently) later on.

* Certainly early on during its stay, views of the great knot were notoriously distant, with the result that it was nicknamed the 'Great Dot'.

Great Knot, Brann Sands, Teesmouth, Cleveland, November 1996 (photograph credited to Jim Pattinson).



No comments:

Post a Comment