Saturday 15 July 2023

 American Coot – Stodmarsh National Nature Reserve, near Canterbury, Kent, 20th April 1996

Yet another superb plus, during an unbelievable first few months of 1996. It – the news – broke on the night of Tuesday the 16th April, when I was out with Steve Boothroyd and the pipeline archaeologists, Susan and Bridget. Only after completing the weeks work, oh, and taking in the two Harlequins near Girvan, Ayrshire on the Wednesday, did I take the decision to go for it. Gilly had succumbed to the inevitable, and had offered me the prospect of a long-distance twitch to Kent. I was not enthused all the same, given the distances involved. My various schemes were all thwarted. Paul Pugh had commitments and to travel by any indirect means (with others) would reduce the already short length of the weekend, given the length of a journey to Kent and back.

I was, as a consequence, very indecisive about the whole deal. What to do?

After a couple of meetings on the Friday, I was faced with trying to do a meeting note under the pressure of knowing I really had to go. I cracked, as it was a very nice day, and headed off on what proved to be a perfectly reasonable, no hassle journey to St. Albans, taking just six hours from midday.

As the bird was fairly settled there seemed little urgency, so after a St. Albans night, Mike Thompson, Susie Pearson and I travelled to Stodmarsh, arriving at c.11:00. Greeted by moderate congestion and alternative car-parking arrangements, I was concerned about crowds. Mike had already twitched it earlier in the week, and so, compared to me, was very chilled.

Walking along the Lampen Wall we were confronted by a crowd of 50 or so looking at the bird as it did its’ thing at the junction of the ditches in the reedbed alongside. Always within 50 m and sometimes less than 10 m away it always gave stunning views, complete with nearby Bearded Tits. Strangest circumstances – first for Britain, so close, whilst a relaxed gallery took it in, chatted, purchased photographs, etc.. Oh, and seemingly, there was a Green-winged Teal on view as well, my first, but I have no recollection this whatsoever.

Overall like Coot in general appearance, but it was immediately obvious due to small bill as the (bald) plate was absent. Perhaps slightly smaller than Coot, and yes, the Moorhen x Coot analogy is good. The bill was a strange affair, with a fine, dark sub-terminal band, and a ‘blood blister’ at top of it. Its plumage was dark grey-black, apparent from off-white undertail covert patches.

As I say, all incredibly chilled for a 'first for' the UK. That said, in early 2014 I saw my second in the UK at Loch Flemington, Highland, and other than me, there was no one there, although by then there had been other Scottish records and the bird involved had been around for a good while.
As twitches of 'firsts for' Britain go, this has to be the most chilled ever, though admittedly it had been on constant show for a few days by the time I got there..... .

American Coot, Stodmarsh, Kent, April 1996 (photograph credited to unknown).


No comments:

Post a Comment