Sunday, 30 August 2026

 Zitting Cisticola – Corporation Marsh, Walberswick, Suffolk, 17th August 2026

As described in the equivalent post relating to Black-winged Kite, by 2026, the fortunate juxtaposition of the now confirmed as breeding Zitting Cisticolas (or Fan-tailed Warblers in old money!) at Corporation Marsh, Walberswick, Suffolk, and the long-staying Black-winged Kite at various sites in and around the Broads in Norfolk (and the home of my old birding mate Mike Thompson in nearby Reydon) always meant that twitching the Zitting Cisticolas was a matter of when, not if.

Overdue? Maybe. The first of what proved to be a pair at Corporation Marsh in 2025 was seemingly the eleventh ever, following the first and second in Norfolk and Dorset as long ago as 1976 and 1977 respectively, before a long interlude to further records in Dorset, in 2000 (two), Kent, in 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2024 (of which only the 2000 Dorset and 2009 Kent birds were actually twitchable).

Anyway, after a very obvious and sensible news curfew whilst they were breeding, news of what was probably two fledged broods of birds (plus attendant adults) emerged on the 7th August 2026. And just over a week later I was scheduled to be in Northumberland for Steely’s 50th bash, which conveniently placed me two hours into a very long journey to East Anglia…… .

As it was, having stayed overnight at a Premier Inn near Norwich Airport (having duly seen the Black-winged Kite at Sea Palling the evening before), after breakfast on Monday the 17th August 2026, I journeyed from Norwich to Reydon. Mike had convinced me to go to Walberswick with him rather than going there direct from Norwich and then going to see him, as I had originally intended, as I’d not wanted to inflict the tedium of seeing the Zitting Cisticolas on him (thinking he would have had quite enough of the same).

I arrived at Mike’s before 10:30, and having been introduced to Lindsey, and briefly caught up, we departed for the beach car-park in Walberswick. Having successfully reached the car-park, parked up and negotiated paying using RingGo, we then gathered our gear and walked broadly south-west and ultimately along the sand dune and shingle ridge at the rear of the beach to the viewing point overlooking Corporation Marsh. It was by now 11:30, and so we were on-site around midday. Perhaps not the best, but…. .

There was a small gaggle of birders already on-site, including one of Mike’s local birding friends, Alastair Baird, and we quickly joined them. I opted to sit on the steepest part of the shingle bank next to a birder who seemed to know what he was about, as he relatively frequently had his ’scope trained on a bird that was showing, and occasionally gave some sort of directions.

My new Swarovski Balance ‘scope and Manfrotto walking pole / monopod combination proved ideal for sitting on the shingle bank. That said, I failed to locate any Zitting Cisticolas (excepting a possible group of three moving about in the vegetation at the base of an embankment on the far side of the marsh); it wasn’t easy, and any helpful shouts dried up.

However, there was then a shout from those at the other end of the gallery. Mike and Alastair made their way there, but I opted to stay where I was, partly as getting up and moving would have been a faff, and also as I was confident the birder alongside me was still getting on birds. Surely it was only a matter of time?

It was, but not as I had envisaged. Having been at the other end of the gallery for some while, Mike shouted me across, as one of those involved had a bird in his ‘scope. I struggled to my feet and made them walk in roughly that direction. On arrival, someone else was attempting to blag a quick look through the ‘scope involved, but fair play to its owner, he indicated I should have a look first.

Which I did.

And there it was, a Zitting Cisticola sitting at the top of some vegetation! Hurrah! No sooner had I seen it (well enough) than it launched vertically out of view. No matter! I’d seen it. Finally(?), Zitting Cisticola was on my list.

I was suitably pleased and gratefully thanked the birder concerned. This quickly turned into a small world conversation with he and his mates, as it emerged that they had travelled from Central Lancashire and variously then referenced Burscough, Ormskirk and Wigan, plus Graham Workman and the recently ‘arsoned’ John Bull Chophouse! Other than the latter, it was really good craic.

Mike, Alastair and I decided to cut our losses, and walked back to Walberswick, moved my car in view of the incoming tide, and then continued on to the excellent Black Dog Deli in Walberswick for a well desired cake and coffee.

Having reacquainted myself with Zitting Cisticola in the marshes south of Montpellier in November 2025, the bird ‘just was’. However, here goes, it was a tiny warbler, with generally warm buff plumage and strong streaking on the upperparts, a plain face, finer brown streaking on the crown and pink legs.
Zitting Cisticola habitat, August 2026.
Zitting Cisticola, Corporation Marsh, Walberswick, Suffolk, August 2026 (photograph credited to David Bryant).

No comments:

Post a Comment